The NCV Test (Nerve Conduction Velocity Test) is also known as a Nerve Conduction Study, that is used to detect dysfunction and nerve injury. It measures how fast an electrical impulse moves through the nerve and can easily determine the damage to nerves.
Why is the Nerve Conduction Velocity test (NCV) done?
Nerve Conduction Velocity Test (NCV) is conducted to determine if you are suffering from nerve damage or trauma to the myelin sheath which is a layer of fatty tissues that protects your nerve cells. It brings clarity between a nerve disorder and nerve injury.
The test is recommended by doctors to diagnose various kinds of muscular and neuromuscular disorders.
1. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
2. Cubital Tunnel Syndrome
3. Herniated Disc Issues
4. Chronic Inflammatory Neuropathy
5. Chronic Inflammatory Polyneuropathy
6. Sciatic Nerve Problems
7. Peripheral Nerve injury
8. Muscle Disorders
Healthcare providers can recommend NCV Test if you are experiencing the symptoms such as Numbness, Reduced Sensation, Tingling, Muscle Weakness and Spasm, Burning Sensation etc.
What is the procedure for Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) test?
1. For the test, you will be asked to sit or lie down.
2. The technician will then find the nerve to be tested and apply gel or paste to stick the electrode to the skin.
3. The technician will place two electrodes on your skin. One electrode will stimulate the nerve and another will record the stimulation.
4. To stimulate the nerve, a mild or brief electrical shock from the stimulating electrode will be given.
5. The total time for one limb is 20 to 30 minutes. But for all limbs, it takes more than 1 hour.
How does one prepare for the Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) test?
1. For the procedure, you’ll be asked to remove objects, such as jewellery, spectacles, dentures, hair pins etc. as it interferes with the procedure.
2. You will be asked to wear a gown.
3. No need of fasting or getting sedation before the test
4. Bring your medical history along with you
5. Stop applying oil or lotion on your body for a few days before the test.
Depending on the condition, the radiologist will give instructions.
Cost of Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) test
The cost of the Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) test in Delhi ranges from INR 5,500 to INR 6,500. It may vary at different diagnostic centres and locations