An EEG an acronym for electroencephalogram is an electrophysiological test that is used to record brain activities and detect abnormalities in the rhythm of the brain.
Why is Electroencephalogram (EEG) test done?
EEG is performed to evaluate various kinds of brain disorders and conditions so that healthcare providers can easily monitor and diagnose the health issues that are affecting the brain. It is very useful to decide about medication and to monitor the response to ongoing treatment. In short, you can say that EEG is used to determine the overall electrical activities of the brain.
It is used to check the status of mentioned below conditions
- Seizure activities related to epilepsy
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Brain injury
- Infection and inflammation of the brain
- Symptoms like confusion, fainting, memory loss etc.
What is the procedure for Electroencephalogram (EEG) test?
Generally, an EEG procedure follows the mentioned below process
- You will be asked or lie on a bed in a relaxed position with open or closed eyes
- The technician will attach around 25 electrodes to your scalp with a special paste or gel.
- Throughout the test, you will need to remain still.
- Once the recording begins, the technician may monitor in an adjoining room to observe the movements that can cause an inaccurate reading, such as swallowing or blinking.
- During the test, you may be asked to open and close your eyes on a few occasions or may be asked to breathe rapidly for a few minutes.
- During the test, you will be encouraged to relax with your eyes closed and encouraged to sleep.
- It may take approximately 45 minutes to 2 hours.
- In case of a sleep disorder, the EEG may be done while you are asleep.
How does one prepare for the Electroencephalogram (EEG) test?
To prepare for the EEG test, the given below are the common instruction given to the patients:
- Don’t use hair oil, hair conditioner, hair spray or gel, the night before your EEG Scan
- Wash your hair with shampoo, the night before the scan
- Take your routine medications.
- Avoid food or drink containing caffeine for 8 hours before the scan
- Sedative Medicine will be given to small and uncooperative patients
- Wash your head with warm water at home after the scan as you may feel your hair and scalp sticky.
- Return to your usual activities.
- There is no side effect, but you may experience dizziness or seizure. Talk to a healthcare provider, if you feel so.
Cost of Electroencephalogram (EEG) Scan
The quality-assured EEG test cost in Delhi varies, depending on the diagnostic centres. It typically ranges from INR 1400 to INR 2,000. Irrespective of cost, get your test done at a certified diagnostic centre where tests are performed without quality compromise and with 100% accuracy.