An EMG test (Electromyography test) is a diagnostic procedure that is used to assess the health of muscles, nerves, roots and the nerve cells that control them. Several health issues occur because of the muscle’s weakness. So, the results of an EMG reveal nerve dysfunction, muscle dysfunction or problems with nerve-to-muscle signal transmission.
Why is Electromyography (EMG) test done?
Depending on the neurological disorders, The Electromyography test can be done either alone or in combination with nerve conduction studies. It helps diagnose several conditions like
1. The disorders of muscles like muscular dystrophy or polymyositis.
2. The diseases affect the connection between the nerve and the muscles.
3. The neurological disorders that are outside the peripheral nerves such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
4. The disorders that affect the Brain or Spinal cord’s motor neurons such as polio and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
5. The disorders that affect the nerve root, such as a herniated disk.
The doctor recommends an EMG to patients with symptoms that indicate muscle disorders or neurological disorders like:
3. Muscle weakness
4. Muscle pain
6. Certain kinds of limb pain
What is the procedure for an Electromyography (EMG) Scan?
1. For the procedure, you may ask to change into a patient gown and lie down on the table for examination.
2. Then the technician will insert a thin disposal of an EMG needle into the muscle to be examined according to the type of disease or the locations where you're experiencing symptoms.
3. The needles will detect the electrical activities of muscles while contracted and at rest.
4. The needle electrodes transmit the information to oscillation, which displays electrical signals as waves.
5. After finishing the test, needles will be removed.
How does one prepare for the Electromyography (EMG) test?
For preparation given below instructions need to be followed
1. Bathe properly, and wash arms, and legs well to remove body oils. Avoid using lotion, bath oils or creams on the day of the test.
2. Wear loose-fitting comfortable clothes
3. Don't eat a heavy meal.
4. Don’t take tobacco or caffeine a few hours before your test.
5. Bring your medical history and the medications you are taking.
6. In case you are taking blood-thinning medications or pyridostigmine, please inform the technician before your test.
7. Inform the Technician or radiologist, if you have a bruise, haemophilia, pacemaker or skin infection.
An EMG Test doesn’t carry any kind of severe risks or complications. But you may experience muscle pain during and after Needle EMG.
Cost of Electromyography (EMG) Scan
The cost of an EMG test in Delhi ranges from INR 3,500 to INR 5,500, depending upon the city, diagnostic centre and severity of the disease. For a quality scan with 100% accuracy of reports, always choose the best diagnostic centre.