HSG (Hysterosalpingography) test is a special kind of x-ray that is performed to evaluate female fertility. It outlines the internal shape of the uterus, condition of the uterus and fallopian tubes. It is also known as uterosalpingography.
Why is HSG (Hysterosalpingography) Scan done?
The abnormal uterine cavity or blocked fallopian tubes may cause infertility. Doctors ask for HSG test because of the following reasons.
* To confirm whether a woman’s fallopian tubes are open or blocked
* To confirm whether the uterus has a normal shape or not.
* To confirm whether the cavity is affected by fibroids, polyps or scar tissue or not.
* To diagnose the female reproductive system.
* For easy detection of the various causes of infertility and other problems related to pregnancy.
* To check whether the fallopian tubes have been fully blocked or not, after a few months of tubal sterilization (tubectomy).
* To highlight symptoms of fertility or reproductive tract disorders such as uterine malformations, cervical stenosis, tubal occlusion, and PID.
* To determine a woman’s true reproductive potential
What is the procedure for HSG (Hysterosalpingography)?
The procedure of HSG is a little bit complicated so needs an expert to perform it.
* Technologist asks you to lie straight with feet braced to yourself.
* Technologist inserts a thin metal instrument that is used for dilation into your vagina to hold the vagina wall apart for perfect viewing of the cervix.
* A thin plastic catheter is inserted through the vagina and cervix and contrast material is injected into the uterus. It will pass into the cervix, filling the uterus and fallopian tubes.
* With a series of X-rays, a radiologist can easily see the dye, which appears white on the X-ray, as it moves into the uterus and then into the fallopian tubes.
* In case of an abnormality in the shape of the uterus, a dye will be outlined.
* The fallopian tube is considered open if dye can fill the tube and spills the dye out on another side.
How does one prepare for the HSG (Hysterosalpingography) test?
* HSG is not performed if you are pregnant.
* It is not performed if you have a pelvic infection.
* It should be performed 7-10 days after the menstrual period but before ovulation.
* You may be prescribed a course of antibiotics before the test.
* No fasting is required for the test.
* You may be asked to take pain killer an hour before the test.
The HSG Test has some other common side effects such as vaginal spotting, abdominal pain, abdominal cramps, pain or discomfort. But some patients face problems like extreme vomiting, severe abdominal pain, fainting, fever, foul-smelling fluid from the vagina, heavy vaginal bleeding and many more. The doctor guides you for the same according to the condition.
The price of an HSG (Hysterosalpingography) Test?
The price of an HSG test ranges from INR 2000 to INR 6000. However, the actual price depends on the diagnostic centre and city.