BERA (Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry) test is a hearing examination performed on children in age group 1 to 3 years. It is used in otoneurologic diagnosis. It helps in determining the child’s ability to hear. It determines the types of abnormalities, hearing threshold and hearing loss.
Why is Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA) test done?
The hearing problem in children can lead to cognitive, speech and language problems. For early detection of hearing problems, a BERA scan is the best option. Healthy hearing means the auditory nerve is able to transmit sound impulses from the ear to the brain at a certain speed. It determines the abnormalities, hearing threshold and hearing loss. It is well-effective for children with hearing nerve tumours, brain tumours, other nerve disorders and multiple sclerosis, etc.
What is the procedure for Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA) test?
* Patients need to lie down. For infants, it can be done when they are sleeping.
* The electrodes will be placed on the head of the patient and behind the ear during the test procedure.
* On the completion of the examination, the patient will hear various sounds through headphones.
* The examination measures changes in the electrical activity of the brain.
How does one prepare for the Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA) test?
To prepare for the BERA test, mentioned below are the instructions.
* Don’t use hair oil, the night before BERA Scan.
* Wash the hair properly with shampoo, the night before the scan.
* 2 hours fasting required.
* A mild sedative may be administered to the infant to sleep during the procedure.
* Fitness letter from your pediatrician is required to determine the sedation dosage.
The technician will guide you if any special care is required.
Cost of Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA) test
The cost of the Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA) test in Delhi varies, depending on the diagnostic centres. It typically ranges from INR 2500 to INR 4000. Irrespective of cost, get the BERA test of your child done at the certified diagnostic centre where tests are performed without quality compromise with 100% accuracy.