Whole body PET scan is a recent advancement in nuclear medicine and a latest imaging tool which provide ultrahigh sensitivity, long scan range and higher resolution for better identification and assessment of various...
Whole body PET scan is a recent advancement in nuclear medicine and a latest imaging tool which provide ultrahigh sensitivity, long scan range and higher resolution for better identification and assessment of various pathological conditions of our body.
It has several other advantages over conventional/traditional scanning techniques including:
1) Faster imaging
2) Dynamic acquisition of whole body
3) Lesser administered radioactivity
4) High SNR (signal to noise ratio)
It is utilized for diagnosis and evaluation in many fields including:
3) Cancer staging
4) Infectious/inflammatory diseases
5) Multi-system diseases etc.
Why do I need a Whole body PET scan?
Whole body PET scan is indicated for diagnosis and evaluation and monitoring in a variety of clinical settings including:
1) Various Cancers
2) Distant metastases and cancer recurrence.
3) Vascular invasion by tumors
4) Musculoskeletal diseases such as:
- Sarcopenia and other muscle disorders
- Muscle neoplasms such as Sarcomas
- Metabolic bone disease
- Autoimmune or degenerative arthritis
5) Obesity/Metabolic syndrome
6) Metabolic disorders
7) Infectious diseases
8) Inflammatory diseases
9) Systemic Cardiovascular diseases including:
- Atherosclerotic diseases.
How do I prepare for Whole PET scan?
Follow these steps if you are going for Whole body PET scan:
1) Get an appointment- Fix an appointment in a Diagnostic center having the facility of Whole body PET scan as it is available in limited centers.
2) Fasting- 6-7 hours fasting is required before Whole body PET test. Inform your Doctor about all medications and supplements that you are currently taking.
4) Caffeine- For 24 hours before the scan, avoid caffeinated products.
3) Pregnancy and breastfeeding - Tell your Doctor about pregnancy if you are pregnant or if you breastfed your baby so that your Doctor can evaluate the risk vs benefit ratio.
4) Clothing - Wear clothes as comfortable as possible and that are easy to put on and off.
5) Allergy- Inform your Clinician about prior history of allergy to any drug or medications.
6) Implants - Inform your doctor about any implant in your body such as cardiac implant, inner ear implants, metallic dentures, neurostimulators or any type of hearing aids etc.
7) Medical reports - Don’t forget to carry all relevant medical reports along with you while going for PET scan. These reports may aid in better evaluation of your condition.
8) Claustrophobia and anxiety - If you have claustrophobia or anxiety disorder then don’t hesitate to tell your Doctor about it. He may give you sedative or some alternatives to help overcome this while performing test.
9) Take a company - Get accompanied by friend or family member to have mental, emotional and physical support and to drive you home.
What is the procedure of Whole body PET scan?
The procedure of Whole body PET scan includes the following steps:
The procedure of PET scan includes the following steps:
1) Written consent is required before the procedure begins.
2) You will be asked to remove all the metallic elements like jewellry , hearing aids, metallic hair clips, metallic underwired bras, wallets ,keys, coins, cards containing metallic strips , belts ,goggles etc.
3) An intravenous injection of radiopharmaceutical agent usually FDG (fluorodeoxyglucose) is given to you. However other agents such as Ga-68 Dotatate in case of neuroendocrine tumors or Fluoroestradiol (FES) in case of hormone dependent tumors may also be used.
4) You will be then asked to sit quietly for about an hour to allow the radiotracer agent to get distributed to your body tissues and organs via bloodstream. The radioactive agent get accumulated in areas of high metabolic activity such as cancerous tissues.
5) If PET-CT is being scheduled then you may get another intravenous injection of a contrast agent which yield high clarity images on CT scan.
6) You will be then asked to change your clothes and wear a gown provided by the technician assisting the procedure .
7) You may be provided with head phones or ear plugs to make you feel more comfortable.
8)If you have Claustrophobia or anxiety disorder, then you may be given sedatives or some other alternatives to make you feel comfortable during the scan.
9) Before scan, your assisting Doctor will explain about all the possible adverse effects of using radiopharmaceutical or contrast material such as itching , rash, swelling etc. Your KFT report will be required to rule out any kidney disease and pathology and to check your GFR.
10)Then you will be asked to lie supine on examination table which will slide and place you inside the scanner.
11)You need to lie still during the procedure as body movements may interfere with the quality of images produced.
12) Your Radiologist will take several images to evaluate the underlying pathology and at the end these images will be interpretated for making a definite diagnosis.
What happens after Whole body PET scan?
The whole procedure of PET scan takes approximately 2 hours. Up to 60 minutes are required to begin the scanning procedure after giving an intravenous radioactive agent. Where as the actual process of whole body PET scan takes approx. 20-30 minutes. However, it may last longer depending upon the severity of your illness and associated co-morbid conditions.
Once the imaging is over you may be allowed to exit the
scanner room and asked to wait in the observation room for some time, to check for any possible side effect of radioactive or contrast agent being used.
You should drink water to clear out the radiotracer or contrast agent from your body.
You will get reports on the next day. However, you can get the image films on the same day if required by your doctor.
What is the cost of Whole body PET scan?
Price of Whole body PET scan generally vary with city and location. Various diagnostic and imaging centers charges differently according to the quality of services they provide and the offers currently availing in them. PET scan charges also vary with the body part which need to be examined and the type of PET scan.
Whole body PET scan test is an advanced diagnostic and monitoring tool that is available at limited diagnostic centers as it requires costly and modern equipments and skilled Radiologists to perform the scan.
To choose the best diagnostic center for Whole body PET scan in Delhi. Click here!
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center (GDIC) is now offering 50% discount on all types of PET scan test.
Which is the best Diagnostic center for Whole body PET scan?
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center(GDIC) is the best diagnostic center for Whole body PET scan in Rohini, Delhi.
We are also having the facility of different types of PET scan including:
2) FDG-PET Scan
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Center is a NABH and NABL accredited top diagnostic center situated in ROHINI and various other locations of Delhi. It is equipped with modern, highly expensive machines with latest cutting edge technologies and highly skilled Radiologists and Pathologists.
Currently, we are offering 50% discount on all types of PET scan.
We are open 24X7 and 365 days. You can also get free online or offline Consultation with our Senior Radiologist, Dr. Ravin Sharma regarding any imaging and scanning test.
We also offer facilities of online reporting, free home sample collection and free Ambulance services in Delhi, NCR. We are also empanelled with various departments and organizations. So you can get the services at panel rate too.
For more details visit your nearest Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center(GDIC) today or Call us now!
Hurry! Grab the best deals now!
We are also empanelled with different departments including:
- DAK (Delhi Arogya Kosh)
- ESIC (Employees State Insurance Corporation)
- CGHS NHA (Central Government Health Scheme)
- ECHS (Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme)
- NDMC (New Delhi Municipal Council )
- Delhi Jal Board
- Northern Railway Central Hospital
- DGEHS (Delhi Govt. Employees Health Scheme)
- BSES Yamuna / BSES Rajdhani Power Limited
- Tata Power Company LTD
- Sanjay Gandhi Memorial Hospital
- Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Hospital
- Babu Jagjivan Ram Memorial Hospital
- Bhagwan Mahavir Government Hospital
To know more details about our empanellment with different organisations. CLICK HERE!