The Brain tumors of any type can present with a variety of the symptoms and the signs that would fall in the 2 categories mainly: General and Focal.
A brain tumor is defined as the growth of cells in brain or in the tissues near it.The nearby locations include the following:
- The Pituitary Gland
- The Pineal Gland
- And Membranes That Are Seen To Cover Surface Of The Brain.
- An estimated 11,660 new cases of primary brain tumors will be diagnosed in AYA (Adolescents and Young Adults) patients in 2023.
- Brain tumors are the second most common cancer overall in individuals ages 15-39 and the second leading cause of cancer related death in those 15-39 years of age.
- The five-year relative survival rate for AYA patients diagnosed with a primary brain tumor is around 90.9%
- The rate is around 71.7% for malignant tumors and 98.3% for non-malignant tumors
Brain tumors of any type can present with a variety of symptoms and the signs that would fall into the 2 categories mainly: General and Focal.
It is seen that there are over a 150 types of the brain tumors.
A brain tumor is known to be a serious condition in either:
The tumors that are seen within the skull would also grow and then put pressure on the different parts of brain that affects the functioning process.
For this reason, even the benign brain tumors would be surgically removed.
- Benign: The noncancerous tumor is the one that would not spread to the nearby tissues or in fact invade any other part of the person’s body.
- Malignant: This is a tumor with the cancerous cells that have the ability to spread—or even metastasize—to any other areas of brain or the body.
- It is seen that the malignant brain tumors would often grow quite more quickly and also uncontrollably than the benign tumors.
Classification of Brain Tumor
Brain tumors could be categorized as either of the two:
Primary: Are those tumors that begin in brain itself.
Secondary: these are the tumors that would in say other part of body but it would spread— or even metastasize— to individuals brain.
The Metastatic tumor cells are seen to generally spread through blood or lymphatic system to then reach any other area of patient’s body.
The patients may also have a combination of two. The general or the nonspecific symptoms are defined as follows:
- Cognitive Difficulties
- Speech Problems.
- Heavy Confusion
- Memory Issues
- Personality or Behavior Changes
- Hearing Problems
- Personality Change
- Gait Disorder
- Nausea and Vomiting
Note: The generalized symptoms are seen when the tumor has enlarged, and its surrounding edema causes an increase in the intracranial pressure or the compression of CSF- Cerebro spinal Fluid.
Some Types of brain tumors include:
- Oligodendroglioma And Ependymoma
- Choroid Plexus Tumors.
- Embryonal Tumors.
- Germ Cell Tumors
- Pineal Tumor
- Nerve Tumors
- Pituitary Tumors
- Other Brain Tumors
- Neurological exam
- The Cranial/Brain MRI is the preferred diagnosis
- Head CT for patients who can’t undergo MRI’
- For Malignant brain tumors- FLAIR (Fluid-attenuated inversion recover)
- For metabolic activity of the lesions- PET scan of your brain
- MR Perfusion and spectroscopy provides information on blood flow.
- Brain Biopsy
- Additional tests such as ECG and lumbar puncture
Therapy of any intracranial malignancy requires both symptomatic and definitive treatments.
The definitive therapy is based on the tumor type and the treatment involves the following:
- Dexamethasone are highly effective because of its relatively low mineralocoticoid activity, initial doses are 8-16 mg/d
- The patients with brain tumors would have seizures then would need antiepileptic drug therapy.
Note: The high grade malignancies are also accompanied by the substantial surrounding edema, which would then contribute to neurologic disability and raised intracranial pressure.
Other drugs that are used are as follows:
- Valproic Acid
Brain tumor headaches
The headaches are known to be the most common symptom of brain tumors. The headaches are seen happening in around half of the people with any brain tumors.
The Headaches can happen if the growing brain tumor is seen to press the healthy cells around it. A brain tumor can also cause swelling in brain that would increase the pressure in head and further lead to a headache.
Most of the time, the cause of a brain tumor is unknown. However, the following factors may raise a person’s risk of developing a brain tumor:
- Age: The tumors are seen to be more common in the children and also in older adults, although people of any age could develop brain tumor.
- Female Gender
- Home and work exposures to solvents, pesticides, or oil products,
- Family history
- Any Exposure to the infections, the viruses, and the allergens.
- Electromagnetic fields
- Race and ethnicity
- Ionizing radiation
- Head injury and seizures
- N-nitroso compounds
Assessing Brain tumor grade:
- The brain tumor's grade is generally assigned when this tumor and its cells would be tested in the lab.
- This grade would tell the health care team on how quickly would the cells grow and multiply.
- This grade is also based on how these cells would look under the microscope system. Its grade ranges from 1 to 4.
To seek Free Consultation from the Doctor:
Contact- Dr. Ravin Sharma, (MBBS, MD in Radiology)
Phone Number: +919212125996
Why Ganesh diagnostic and Imaging Centre should be your preference to screen you for any Brain Tumor?
At Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Centre, we are known for providing excellent service and care to its patients for decades. Lakhs of satisfied patients over the years!
It is an established and renowned diagnostic centre since 2001.
Their excellence is backed by NABH and NABL Accreditations.
NABH accreditation is proof of highest standard of care and service provided to the patients. NABL accreditation reflects the competency of laboratories and equipment based on some national and international standards.
Test report is available digitally too.
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Centre is a one-stop solution for getting all kinds of tests done, as all services are available under one roof.
The aim of GDIC is to provide world’s finest technology at the lowest price.
We are based in Delhi NCR Region, and our branches are in the following regions:
The rates of scans are reasonably priced. Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Centre also offer FLAT 50% OFF on many tests.
Tests conducted at Ganesh Diagnostic & Imaging Center are as follows:
Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine, 20 th edition, Volume 1