MRI Brain/Head with contrast is a diagnostic tool which utilizes Magnetic field, radio waves and an intravenous contrast agent to delineate the anatomy and pathology of brain.
MRI Brain/Head with contrast is a diagnostic tool which utilizes Magnetic field, radio waves and an intravenous contrast agent to delineate the anatomy and pathology of brain. It uses a series of MRI sequences and produces images with higher resolution and better clarity to evaluate and analyze any disease or condition affecting the brain.
The contrast agent, usually Gadolinium highlights the tissues which help in better assessment of the underlying pathology.
MRI is considered superior to CT (computed tomography) scan due to following reasons:
1) No exposure to ionizing radiation
2) Do not use iodinated contrast agent, thus no risk of contrast induced nephropathy.
3) Better neurovascular assessment and evaluation.
Now-a-days MRI is considered the most sensitive imaging procedure of head/brain for identifying disease as compared to other imaging techniques such as X-rays or a CT scan.
What are the uses of MRI Brain with Contrast?
MRI brain/head with contrast is used for identification and diagnosis of variety of diseases including:
1) Tumors of Brain
2) Secondary Metastases to Brain
3) Infectious diseases of Brain
5) Multiple sclerosis
6) Neuro-degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease
7) Vascular diseases
8) Traumatic injury
9) Progressive loss of vision
10) Compression of Nerves
12) Pituitary lesions
13) Tumors located in Cerebellopontine angle
15) Refractory Migraines
16) Persistent Tinnitus and hearing loss
17) Frequent episodes of dizziness followed by fainting.
What are the patient preparations done for MRI Brain or Head with Contrast?
1) Get an appointment- Fix an appointment in a Diagnostic center having the facility of MRI Brain with contrast as it is available in limited centers.
2) Fasting- 4-5 hours fasting is required before MRI with contrast study.
3) Pregnancy- Tell your Doctor about pregnancy if you are pregnant so that your Doctor can evaluate the risk vs benefit ratio.
4) Implants- Inform your doctor about any implant in your body such as cardiac implant, inner ear implants, neurostimulators or any type of hearing aids. MRI utilizes strong magnetic fields and implants may lead to safety issues and health hazards.
5) Clothing- Wear clothes as comfortable as possible and that are easy to put on and off.
6) Allergy- Inform your Clinician about prior history of allergy to any drug.
7) Claustrophobia and anxiety - If you have claustrophobia or anxiety disorder then don’t hesitate to tell your Doctor about it. He may give you sedative or some alternatives to help overcome this while performing test.
8) Medical reports- Don’t forget to carry all relevant medical reports along with you while going for MRI Brain with contrast.
9) Take a company- Get accompanied by friend or family member to have mental, emotional support and to drive you home.
What is the procedure of MRI Brain with Contrast?
1. Written consent is required before you enter scanner room.
2. You will be asked to remove all the metallic elements like jewellry , hearing aids, metallic hair clips, belts, metallic underwired bras, wallets ,keys, coins, cards containing metallic strips , goggles etc.
3.You will be then asked to change your clothes and wear a gown provided by the technician assisting the procedure.
4.You will be provided with head phones or ear plugs to make you feel more comfortable and protect you from the sounds produced by the MRI machine.
5.If you have Claustrophobia or anxiety disorder, then you may be given sedatives or some other alternatives to make you feel comfortable during the scan.
6) Before contrast-enhanced MRI scan, your assisting Doctor will explain about all the possible adverse effects of using contrast material such as itching, rash, swelling etc. Your KFT report will be required to rule out any kidney disease pathology and to check your GFR. Because contrast material, Gadolinium should not be given to a patient with a GFR less than 30.
7) Then, an intravenous contrast agent, usually Gadolinium is injected.
8) Then you will be asked to lie supine on MRI examination table which will slide and place you inside the MRI scanner.
9) You need to lie still during the procedure as body movements may interfere with the quality of images produced. Your Radiologist will take several images of Brain and the adjacent tissues to evaluate the underlying pathology and at the end these images will be interpretated for making a definite diagnosis.
11) Once the imaging is over you may be allowed to exit the scanner room and asked to wait in the observation room for some time, to check for any possible side effect of contrast agent being used.
12) You will get reports on the next day. However, you can get the image films on the same day if required by your doctor.
How much time taken to do MRI Brain with Contrast?
MRI Brain with contrast is an important neuroimaging technique which is utilized for the assessment and evaluation of many diseases affecting brain tissue or the blood vessels of the head.
MRI contrast has added advantages over standard MRI without contrast agent due to following reasons-
1) Early identification of diseases which help in the managing the condition at an earlier stage.
2) Estimation of exact size and location of lesion.
3) Even smallest foci of metastases can be identified.
4) Degree of malignancy can be evaluated.
It usually takes about 20-30 minutes to perform MRI Brain with contrast.
However, the procedure may last longer depending upon the co-morbid conditions and degree of severity of illness.
What are the charges of MRI Brain with Contrast?
Cost of MRI Brain/Head with contrast may vary depending on several factors like city and locality. Also, charges may vary in different Diagnostic centers depending upon the service quality and the currently availing offers.
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center is offering 50% discount on MRI Brain with contrast. Now you can avail this service at just R
s.11500 Rs. 5750
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Center is a NABH and NABL accredited top diagnostic center located in Rohini, Delhi. We are now offering 50%Discount on all types of MRI.
We are open 24*7 and 365 days, without any extra charges. You can also get free consultation with our Senior Radiologist, Dr. Ravin Sharma and get your doubts clears regarding the scan without any extra charges.
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center have many branches in different locations of Delhi. Our center is equipped with the latest cutting edge technologies and Skilled Radiologists and Pathologists to assure quality services to our patients.
We have the facility of MRI 3 Tesla and 1.5 tesla.
We also provide facility of online reporting, Home sample collection and free Ambulance services in Delhi, NCR.
Hurry and grab the best deals now!