Computed tomography scan of brain also known as CT scan brain is a diagnostic tool that utilizes unique rotating X-rays machine and a computer to produce axial or horizontal images/slices of brain and associated structures.
What is CT scan brain/head?
Computed tomography scan of brain also known as CT scan brain is a diagnostic tool that utilizes unique rotating X-rays machine and a computer to produce axial or horizontal images/slices of brain and associated structures. A Brain CT scan is known by various other names such as Head CT scan, Cranial CT scan, skull CT scan or CAT scan of brain.
It is a non-invasive, painless and safe technique used to delineate anatomical details brain and surrounding structures in greater details for better evaluation and assessment of various pathologies and conditions affecting the brain such as brain tumors, head injuries, stroke etc.
A CT scan create three-dimensional pictures of brain, soft tissues and blood vessels and help in identification and localization of lesions. It provide much more information than traditional X-rays.
A CT scan can be performed with contrast dye known as CECT brain or without contrast agent known as NCCT brain/head. Also, for different purposes it can be combined with other imaging techniques such as CT angiography, CT venography or PET-CT scan.
What are the uses of a CT scan brain/head?
A CT scan of brain /head is an advanced technique which is used for identification, localization, diagnosis, management and monitoring purposes in a variety of clinical scenarios including:
1) Skull fractures
2) Brain injury
3) Ischemic or hemorrhagic stroke
4) Brain tumours
5) Secondary metastases to brain
6) Skull malformations
7) Skull diseases/abnormalities
8) Bleeding in brain parenchyma
9) Blood clots inside brain
10) Ruptured or leaking aneurysms inside brain
11) Dilated or enlarged ventricles
13) Arterio-venous malformations inside brain
14) Arterio-venous fistula inside brain
15) Diseases involving temporal bone and resulting in hearing loss
16) Atrophy of brain parenchyma
17) Infectious diseases of brain
18) Inflammatory diseases of brain
19) Birth defects
21) Difficulty in speech or swallowing
22) Severe headaches refractory to treatment
23) Sudden changes in behavior or thinking patterns
24) Sudden weakness in muscles or numbness
25) Repeated attacks of fainting
26) Visual changes or Vision loss
27) Evaluation of normal mental functions
28) To guide procedures such as Biopsy of brain tissues
29) To evaluate paranasal sinuses
30) Monitor efficacy of treatment
31) To access prognosis of diseases affecting brain
32) Before radiation therapy to brain
33) Before surgical approach to brain.
How do I prepare for a CT scan brain/head?
Follow these steps if you are going for a brain/head CT scan:
1) Get an appointment- Schedule your appointment in a Diagnostic center having the facility of brain/cranial CT scan as it is available in limited centers.
2) Fasting- 4-5 hours fasting is required if CT test with contrast dye is being planned.
3) Inform your Doctor about all medications and supplements that you are currently taking.
4) Clothing- Wear clothes as comfortable as possible and that are easy to put on and off.
5) Allergy- Inform your Clinician about prior history of allergy to any drug or medications.
6) Pregnancy and breastfeeding- Tell your Doctor about pregnancy if you are pregnant or if you breastfed your baby so that your Doctor can evaluate the risk vs benefit ratio.
7) Implants- Inform your doctor about any implant in your body such as cardiac implant, inner ear implants, metallic dentures, neurostimulators or any type of hearing aids etc.
8) Medical reports- Don’t forget to carry all relevant medical, lab reports and any special instruction given by your physician along with you while going for CT scan. These reports may aid in better evaluation of your condition.
9) Claustrophobia and anxiety - If you have claustrophobia or anxiety disorder then don’t hesitate to tell your Doctor about it. He may give you sedative or some alternatives to help overcome this while performing test.
10) Take a company- Get accompanied by friend or family member to have mental, emotional and physical support and to drive you home.
What is the procedure for CT scan brain/skull?
The procedure of CT scan brain/head/skull/cranium includes the following steps:
1) Before the procedure begins, you need to give written consent.
2) You will be asked to remove all the metallic elements like jewellry, hearing aids, metallic hair clips, metallic underwired bras, wallets, keys, coins, cards containing metallic strips, belts, goggles etc.
3) If CT with contrast dye is being scheduled then you will be given an intravenous injection of a contrast agent which yield high clarity images on CT scan.
4) You will be then asked to change your clothes and wear a gown provided by the technician assisting the procedure .
5) You may be provided with head phones or ear plugs to make you feel more comfortable.
6) If you have Claustrophobia or anxiety disorder, then you may be given sedatives or some other alternatives to make you feel comfortable during the scan. CT scanner is equipped with microphone and speakers for two-way communications.
7) Before scan, your assisting Doctor will explain about all the possible adverse effects of using contrast material such as itching , rash, swelling etc. Your KFT report will be required to rule out any kidney disease/pathology and to check your GFR.
8) Then you will be asked to lie supine on examination table which will slide and place you inside the scanner.
9) You need to lie still during the procedure as body movements may interfere with the quality of images produced.
10) Your Radiologist will take several images to evaluate the underlying pathology and at the end these images will be interpretated for making a definite diagnosis.
What happens after a CT scan brain/skull?
* You will be allowed to exit the scanner room once the procedure is over.
* You may be asked to wait in observation room for some time to evaluate any possible side effects if contrast dye has been used.
* Drink water to eliminate contrast material from your body.
* Brain or head CT scanning usually takes about 20-40 minutes. However, it may last longer depending upon the severity of your illness and associated co-morbid conditions.
* If you breastfeed your baby then ask your Radiologist or Physician when to resume breastfeed if contrast agent is used in the procedure.
* You will get reports on the next day. However, you may get the image films on the same day if requested by your Clinician.
Brain/head CT scan price in Delhi?
Cost of CT scan brain/head generally vary with city and location. Various diagnostic and imaging centers charges differently according to the quality of machines they provide and the offers currently availing in them. CT scan charges also vary with the body part which need to be examined and the type of CT scan.
Brain/head CT scan test is an advanced diagnostic and monitoring tool that is available at limited diagnostic centers as it requires costly and modern equipments and skilled Radiologists to perform the scan.
To choose the best diagnostic center for Brain/Head CT scan in Delhi. Click here!
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center (GDIC) is now offering 50% discount on all types of CT scan test including NCCT, CECT, PET-CT etc.
Brain CT scan prices in Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center (GDIC) Delhi are as following:
- Rs 1750 BOOK NOW Rs 3500 - Rs 2500 BOOK NOW Rs 5000
For more details, click here!
Which diagnostic center is best for CT scan brain/head in North-East Delhi?
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center (GDIC) is the best diagnostic center for Brain/head scan in Rohini, North-East Delhi.
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center is now considered one of the most popular and affordable Diagnostic center in Delhi. We provide high standard quality services to our patients. Genuine reporting and Patient satisfaction is our top priority. We offer seamless integration between diagnosis and treatment planning.
We are having the facility of different types of CT scan including:
1) Plain CT /NCCT scan
2) CECT (contrast enhanced CT) scan
3) CT perfusion imaging such as CT angiography and CT venography
4) PET CT scan
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center (GDIC) is now offering 50% discount on all types of CT scan.
To book your appointment now. Click here!
Why choose Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center for CT scan brain/head?
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Center is a NABH and NABL accredited top diagnostic and imaging center situated in ROHINI and various other locations of Delhi. It is equipped with modern, highly expensive machines with latest cutting-edge technologies and highly skilled Radiologists and Pathologists.
Currently, we are offering 50% discount on all types of CT scan. We are open 24X7 and 365 days. You can also get free online or offline Consultation with our Senior Radiologist, Dr. Ravin Sharma regarding any imaging and scanning test.
We also offer facilities of online reporting, free home sample collection and free Ambulance services in Delhi, NCR. We are also empanelled with various departments and organizations. So, you can get the services at panel rate too.
For more details visit your nearest Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging center (GDIC) today or Call us now!
Hurry! Grab the best deals now!