A Thyroid Scan is a specialized imaging procedure used for the examination of the Thyroid Gland. The scan works with nuclear medicine and gives detailed information about the size, shape, and position of the thyroid as well as the way the thyroid functions.
Purpose of the test:
* To Determine, if the thyroid gland is working properly or not.
* Helps in diagnosing problems with the thyroid gland.
Why is the test performed?
The thyroid scan is used to evaluate the abnormalities found in a pathology test. It is used to diagnose
* Cysts, lumps, and other growths
* Swelling or inflammation
* An abnormal enlargement of the thyroid
* Thyroid Cancer and many more
How should I prepare for the Thyroid Scan?
* No iodinated contrast CT scan, within the last two months.
* Discontinue taking medications containing iodine, such as cough syrups, multivitamins
* Discontinue taking thyroid medication from four to six weeks before your scan.
* You may be asked to avoid certain food products that contain iodine for about a week before your scan.
Note: Inform the technician/ radiologist if you are allergic to iodine
Procedure on the day of examination:
* For the thyroid scan procedure, you will lie down on the examination table without RAIU.
* To extend your neck, the technician will tip your head back.
* A scanner will be used to take pictures from at least 3 angles.
* You will be instructed to remain still while taking pictures.
* The total duration of the test is about 30 mins.
The procedure of an RAIU:
* Before the test, A radioactive material called a radioisotope or radionuclide is given to you through an injection, a liquid, or a tablet.
* RAIU is performed 6 to 24 hours after taking the radioisotope.
* For the test, you will sit upright in a chair and the technician will place a probe over your thyroid gland to measure the radioactivity presence.
* The test takes several minutes.
* To determine the amount of thyroid hormone produced between the two tests, another set of readings will be taken after 24 hours.
Is there any Risk involved in this Scan?
No, there is no risk involved in the scan.
* Thyroid Profile test report
* USG neck report
* Previous medical history if any
Post Scan Instruction:
* Drink plenty of fluids.
* Keep distance from pregnant ladies and kids at least for 24 hours.
* Breastfeeding mothers to stop feeding for 24 hours.
* You can continue taking your medications which were advised to stop (if any).
Thyroid scan result:
In a normal thyroid scan, the thyroid will have a green color on the image indicating that there are no abnormalities in the size, shape, and location of the thyroid gland.
Red spots on the image indicate abnormal growth in the thyroid. An abnormal thyroid scan shows an enlarged or out-of-position thyroid, indicating a possible tumor. It also shows that the thyroid gland collected too much or too little of the radionuclide.
Abnormal results may also indicate:
* Colloid nodular goiter
* Graves’s disease
* Painless thyroiditis
* Toxic nodular goiter
Cost of Thyroid Scan in Delhi:
The Best quality Thyroid Scan Test Price in Delhi typically ranges from INR 3000 to INR 4000, depending on the diagnostic centers. You are always suggested to reach the certified diagnostic center for a quality scan with 100% accuracy of the report, irrespective of the cost.MAKE A PAYMENT BOOK TEST SAMPLE
|Test Type||Thyroid Scan|
Thyroid Scan (Nuclear Medicine)
Within 4-6 hours*
|Test Price:||₹ 3500|
100% Safe & Hygienic
View Report Online