DOPA PET CT scan is a molecular imaging test that is generally used to diagnose and management of neurodegenerative diseases like Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer's changes and dementia. It is the best diagnostic technique to detect early Parkinson’s disease. It is a painless, and non-invasive test that uses a very small amount of radioactive material called F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose (FDG) which is injected into a vein and taken up by the brain cells. The test is also known as 8F-DOPA PET Scan, PET Scan for Parkinson's Diseases, and PET Scan for PD.
In this blog, we will discuss in detail the scan.
Why Do doctors Ask for Dopa CT PET Scan?
- It is widely used to measure the level of dopamine in the brain. It helps doctors determine the problem that is affecting the dopamine levels in the brain.
- This nuclear medicine scan uses a small amount of radioactive material injected into a vein and travels through the body to the brain to look at how well the brain is working.
- The tracer binds to certain cells in the brain that use dopamine.
- To take pictures of the tracer in the brain, a special camera is used. These pictures show the working of cells and help doctors to know if the treatment of Parkinson’s disease is working or not.
- This scan is also helpful for doctors to see if a person’s symptoms are getting worse.
There are many other potential reasons why a doctor asks for the scan
It helps in accurately diagnosing Parkinson's disease.
- This is a neurological disorder that affects movement and can cause tremors and other problems. A DOPA PET CT scan can help doctors see how much of the brain is affected by the disease and can help them plan treatment.
- It is to identify tumours and the size of tumours in the brain as they can affect the brain’s functions, for effective and timely treatment, it’s important to find them as early as possible.
Which conditions can be identified?
The scan is used to diagnose conditions such as:
- Parkinson’s disease
- Brain tumour
Preparing for the scan:
For the scan, you will prosper and detailed instructions on preparation.
- You may be asked for fasting for at least 2-3 hours before the beginning of the scan. You can drink water.
- In case of pregnancy, PET CT Scan is not recommended.
- In case of lactating, it is necessary to pump and store the breast milk before a scan.
- You may be asked to wear comfortable clothing and remove jewellery.
- Avoid any intense and strenuous activity at least 24 hours before the scan.
- If you are diabetic, you can take Diabetes medicine 24 hrs before the procedure.
Requirements on the day of the scan:
- Doctor’s prescription
- Medical history to be aware of any medical conditions and allergies.
- All relevant old reports and scan images.
- Blood sugar and KFT Report
Procedure for the scan
- You will be prepared for your scan by giving you the hospital gown to wear for the scan and asking you to remove all sorts of jewellery.
- A Technician will place a cannula in your vein to prepare for the radiotracer injection and the radiotracer will be pushed into the vein through the cannula. After the injection, you would be asked to relax and rest for an hour to help the radiotracer get absorbed in the body before the scan.
- Once you will be ready for the scan, you will be escorted into the room and the technician will give you all the necessary instructions before the scan begins.
- During the scan, the technician will give you a contrast dye in case of the requirement of further information for diagnosis.
If the doctor has recommended you for a Dopa pet ct scan brain in Delhi, it's good to go for a scan at the certified diagnostic centre for the scan to get quality diagnostic services. Ganesh diagnostic is the best diagnostic centre that offers a Dopa pet scan, backed with well-trained and certified advanced technology and state-of-art technique to provide a quality scan at the pocket-friendly whole-body pet ct scan cost in Delhi. To schedule your appointment, contact us.