Parotid gland is largest salivary gland, triangular in shape with its base directed superiorly and apex directed inferiorly.
Parotid gland is largest salivary gland, triangular in shape with its base directed superiorly and apex directed inferiorly. It is the major contributor of saliva and facilitates the process of mastication and swallowing of food.
It is a paired gland situated around the mandible bone which divides the gland into two lobes, the superficial lobe and the deep lobe connected to each other.
MRI parotid gland is a diagnostic imaging which utilizes MRI sequences for the evaluation and estimation of various conditions affecting the parotid gland and the surrounding tissues. It provides the detailed anatomy of the parotid which helps in the assessment of diseases and aid in making differential diagnosis.
MRI is considered as the imaging modality of choice for identification and localization of various pathologies of parotid gland, especially in the characterization and differentiation of benign tumors from malignant ones, which is crucial for deciding management plans or taking surgical approaches.
What are the uses of MRI Parotid Gland?
MRI of parotid gland is indicated in diagnosis and evaluation of many conditions including:
1) Parotitis - It is inflammation of parotid gland, also known as sialadenitis.
2) Sialolithiasis - It is formation of stone/calculi in the parenchyma or duct of salivary gland.
3) Ductal obstruction - MRI helps in differentiation of acute from chronic obstruction of parotid ducts as well as delineates the ductal anatomy.
4) Benign tumors of parotid gland
- Pleomorphic adenoma
- Intraductal papilloma
- Warthin tumor
5) Malignant tumors of parotid gland
- Mucoepidermoid carcinoma
- Salivary duct carcinoma
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma
- Pleomorphic carcinoma
7) Sjogren syndrome - It is an autoimmune disease that mainly affects the lacrimal gland and the salivary gland.
8) Sialocele - It is the presence of cystic spaces within the gland.
9) Perineural invasion
10) Tumour infiltration in adjacent areas.
11) Lymph node involvement by tumours
12) Traumatic lesions of parotid
13) Congenital anomalies such as
- Congenital agenesis
- Ectopic parotid gland
- Ductal duplication of parotid gland.
What are the patient preparations done For MRI Parotid Gland?
1) Take an appointment - Fix an appointment in a Diagnostic center having the facility of MRI Parotid gland as it is available in limited centers.
2) Food and Medications - Follow your daily routine unless specified otherwise by your Doctor.
3) Allergy - Inform your doctor about prior history of allergy to any medications.
4) Implants - Don’t forget to inform your doctor about any implant in your body like cardiac implant, neurostimulators ,inner ear implants or any type of hearing aids. MRI utilizes strong magnetic fields and implants may lead to safety issues and health hazards.
5) Clothing - Wear outfits as comfortable as possible and that are easy to put on and off.
6) Pregnancy- Inform your Doctor about pregnancy if you are pregnant so that the Doctor can assess the risk vs benefit ratio.
7) Claustrophobia and anxiety - If you have claustrophobia or anxiety issues then don’t hesitate to tell your clinician about it. He may give you sedative or some alternatives to help overcome this while performing scan.
8) Medical reports - Don’t forget to carry all relevant medical reports along with you while going for MRI Parotid gland.
9) Take a company - Go with friend or family member to have mental, emotional support and to drive you home.
What is the procedure for MRI Parotid Gland?
1) Written consent will be taken from you before you enter scanner room.
2) You will be asked to take out all the metallic elements like jewelry, metallic hair clips, metallic underwired bras, wallets, keys, coins, cards containing metallic strips, goggles, belts, hearing aids etc.
3) After that you will be instructed to change your clothes and wear a gown provided by the technician assisting the procedure.
4)If you have Claustrophobia or anxiety issues, then you may be given sedatives or some other alternatives to make you feel comfortable during the procedure.
5) You will be provided with head phones or ear plugs to make you feel more comfortable and shield you from the sounds produced by the MRI machine.
6) If contrast-enhanced MRI Parotid gland is planned then your assisting clinician will tell you about all the possible side effects of using contrast agents such as rash, itching, swelling etc. Your KFT report will be required if you have any kidney disease pathology to check your GFR. Because contrast material, Gadolinium should not be given to a patient with a GFR less than 30.
7) Then you will be asked to lie supine on MRI examination table which will slide and place you inside the MRI scanner.
8) You need to lie still during the scan as body movements may interfere with the quality of images produced. Your Radiologist will take several images of Parotid gland and the adjacent tissues to evaluate the underlying pathology and at the end these images will be interpretated for making a definite diagnosis.
9) Once the imaging is over you may be allowed to exit the scanner room. If contrast has been used then you will be asked to wait in the observation room for some time, to check for any possible side effect of contrast material being used.
10) You will get reports on the next day. However, you can get the image films on the same day if required by your Health care professional.
How much time taken for MRI Parotid Gland?
MRI Parotid gland is a non-invasive and advanced technique to identify the morphological and structural changes in the parotid gland and the adjacent structures. It utilizes non-ionizing radio waves and strong magnetic field to produce series of images with greater clarity and better resolution which help the clinicians to identify, characterize and localize the lesions of parotid gland.
MRI also plays a vital role in differentiating benign tumors from malignant tumors of parotid gland. Thus, proved to be an essential tool in the management of these conditions as well as making differentials.
It usually takes about 15-20 minutes to perform MRI parotid gland. However, if there are associated co-morbid conditions, then it may last longer too.
What are the charges for MRI Parotid Gland?
Costs of MRI Parotid gland usually vary with city, locality and from center to center depending upon the quality of service and offers availing in them.
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Center is offering MRI Parotid Gland at 50% Discount. The actual price of MRI Parotid gland is Rs8000 and you can avail this test at just RS 4000.
Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Center is a NABH and NABL accredited top diagnostic center situated in ROHINI and various other locations of Delhi. It is equipped with modern, highly expensive machines with latest cutting edge technologies and highly skilled Radiologists and Pathologists.
We are open 24*7 and 365 day. You can also get free Consultation with our Senior Radiologist, Dr. Ravin Sharma regarding any imaging and scan procedure.
We also offer facilities of online reporting, free home sample collection and free Ambulance services in Delhi, NCR. We are also empanelled with various departments and organizations. So you can get the services at panel rate too.
Grab the best deals now!