27 Oct 2022
A significant majority of the plain-film examinations performed on the abdomen are comprised of radiographs of the abdominal region that were obtained. At the same time, the patient's body was in an erect/standing position.
This view is useful in assessing the following:
* Bowel obstruction
* Bowel fluid level
* Intra-abdominal masses
* Abdominal pathology
* Distended abdomen
* Abdominal pain with vomiting
* Review of Post op. cases
* Abdominal trauma
* No preparation is needed. You should wear loose-fitting clothing.
* Notify the technician before the examination in the case of a pregnancy.
* Standing position with ventral abdomen toward the image detector
* No rotation of shoulders or pelvis
* Should include the entire transverse width of the patient (if possible; if not, two radio-graphs may be obtained)
* Hands can be placed around the detector or on top for stand stability.
* The technologist will take the x-ray with full inspiration
* This lets the diaphragm contract, hence compressing the abdominal organs and allowing all abdominal contents to be visualized in a single image
* Patient have to stand like this, the patient’s radiograph include both domes of the diaphragm to the iliac crest.
* Postero-anterior projection
* Suspended inspiration (departmentally dependent)
* 5 cm above the iliac crest at the mid-sagittal plane
* Superiorly to include the Hemi-diaphragms
* To include as much of the abdomen as possible
* Lateral to the skin margins
* 35 cm x 43 cm or 43 cm x 35 cm
* 70-80 kVp
* 30-50 mAs
* 100 cm
Image technical evaluation
* Lateral abdominal wall should be included
* Inferior pubic rami should be included inferiorly
* The diaphragm must be included superiorly
* The abdomen should be free from rotation with symmetry of the:
* Ribs (superior)
* Iliac crests (middle)
* Obturator foremen(inferior)
* No blurring of the bowel gas due to respiratory motion
If you are looking for the best x-ray diagnostic centre to get your or your loved ones X-ray done in Delhi NCR area, you need to look no further than GDIC (Ganesh Diagnostic and Imaging Centre). We are among the highly rated diagnostic centre offering reliable and accurate diagnostic services to our customers.
To schedule an appointment, call us 24*7.